Friday, February 06, 2009

The Lion fell in love with the Lamb...

This weekend I saw a movie for the second time.

I read the books, all four.

I had seen the interviews, but still I resisted.

I saw Twilight. Again.

I am addicted!

The books are great, and I was hooked after I read Twilight. Stephanie Meyer did an amazing job bringing these characters to life, and the transfer to film was wonderful.

I have talked to a few people at work that asked why I was hooked on these books, then the movie. "Isn't this a teenager book?".

Yes, but Stephanie Meyer was prepared for adults to love this book. She loves these characters, and knew other people her own age would as well as the young adults.

When I first picked up the book, I wasn't sure if I would like it. I love sci-fi books, but this isn't even really that. While it has vampires as the characters, it isn't as much about vampires as it is about the relationships between the characters.

The stories follow the vampire path, but with so much more. The romance between Bella and Edward, then he leaves and the relationship between Bella and Jacob. Then, they come together and the mix is incredible. So much more than a book about vampires (and werewolves).

On top of that, the book was written to young adults, not grown-ups. Some level of cheesiness was expected. It wasn't that bad really.

The movie was wonderful. I loved it. I knew it would be "immature" and made for young adults, but it still flowed like any other movie. Girl sees Boy, Boy freaks out and runs, Boy loves Girl, Girl loves Boy, Vampire tries to kill Girl, Boy saves Girl.

See, completely normal.

The location for the movie was amazing. The forests they shot in, they were spectacular. The light coming in from the tree breaks and the aerial shots were incredible. I always seem to forget there are places like that all around us.

The cast was wonderful, a great combination of actors. They each played their roles so well. While I may not have chosen this guy to play Carlisle, it worked. And having the actress that played Ava/Rebeca from Grey's Anatomy was a bit strange, but it worked pretty well.

There are so many things I could say about this movie, this book and OH THE SOUNDTRACK. You had to know that I would take it there, I mean come on. I love my music!

This soundtrack is not my normal listening style. The music is harsh and loud, along with the single Opera song thrown in. There are ballads and rough emotional songs as well.

Robert Pattinson has two songs on this soundtrack, and he is actually quite amazing. He did an interview where he said his music was his back-up...a pretty good back-up in my mind. I would buy his album.

The songs hit the movie head on. They show the confusion, the anger and the love. They are able to take you through the movie without seeing it. The music is that wonderful.

Linkin Park, Collective Soul and Paramore are the most familiar artists on the cd, but I am seeking them all out. Such a great collection, I can't wait to find more on each artist.

I do think that Linkin Park's "Leave out all the Rest" is one of my favorite songs.

"I dreamed I was missing, you were so scared. No one would listen, cause no one else cared. After my dreaming, I woke with this fear. What am I leaving...so if you're asking me, I want you to know...When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done. Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed...Don't resent me, and when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory, leave out all the rest, leave out all the rest."

Such powerful lyrics, and the rest of the song is even better. Here is the video for the song.

The rest of the songs are equally amazing, this one simply stands out.

Along with the lyrical soundtrack, there is also the Score. Carter Burwell is the artist that plays each song, and he is phenomenal.

The scene in the movie where Edward is leading Rosalie and Esme through the woods to throw off the tracker is a powerful scene. It shows the dedication and drive he has to protect her, and Rosalie's want to walk away from it all. The instrumental that accompanies that part of the movie is incredible. It has such power, while still keeping a softer side. I can't wait to get this one.

This is a movie that Hubby rolls his eyes at me about, but that I would see again in a heartbeat. It comes out a DVD March 21st, and yes I will be getting it. Yes, I will also be seeing New Moon when it comes out later this year.

Is it a good book, yes.

A good movie, yes.

A good soundtrack, heck yes!

No comments: