Monday, January 12, 2009

1+1=2

Boo is a perfectionist.

I am not talking a minor "Hey that letter needs to re-written" perfectionist.

I am talking tears, wails almost a temper tantrum (remember she is 6) perfectionist.

I am not a perfectionist. If you could see my house you would know this. I can't see the top of my computer desk...don't remember what color it is.

But, I think I know where it comes from, and that makes me sad.

Time and time again Boo sees what happens when you don't turn in your homework, and when you are lazy about it. She sees the reality of not doing the most important job a child can have...school work.

With Hunter as her big brother, Boo has seen these hard lessons first hand. Hunter is an amazing child, but homework is not his strong suit. Not a big deal...yeah right.

Hubby and I want better for our kids, we want them to succeed in whatever they choose to do. With this dream, we have expectations. Some think they are too high, but I think in this current world, they are what needs to be.

-Late homework is not acceptable. I don't care what your reason is, unless you are absent from school, your homework MUST be turned in.

-Homework must be completed on time, and to the best of your ability. I don't care if you don't like to add color (like you are asked too), that is part of the assignment: DO IT.

- Do your best, and work hard. That is all we ask. If you do your best, and ask for help if you have questions you will get no problems from us.

- Don't lie to us about missing homework, that will only make the punishment worse. Tell the truth, and you will get off easier. One day with no tv is much better than two weeks for lying on top of it.

- No, I am not kidding when I say I will take your room apart. Do your homework and it won't happen. Want to try me and find out. It won't be fun for you.

The past school years were rough, and this year has had it moments. But we are working through.

I only hope that we can break Boo of this habit. She is so hard on herself, and she doesn't need to be.

No comments: