Monday, November 05, 2007

The date has been set

For what you ask? For the Great Cookie Bake Off 2007! Almost every year my sister and I have a day where we make cookies, bars, pretzels and oh so much more. Big Sis even makes Biscotti!! It is so good with hot chocolate that I can't even begin to describe it.
In just over three weeks we will converge upon Big Sis and Brother-in-Law and bake the day away. I can't wait for Buckeyes, Peanut Butter Blossoms, Peppermint Bark and chocolate dipped pretzels!

In the spirit of the Great Cookie Bake Off 2007 I thought that once a week I would post a fabulous recipe for easy but delicious treats. These are time tested and have been kid approved! Today we are starting simple, these don't even have a real name that I have found. I heard about these from a girl at work, and fell in love with the simplicity and the sweet/salty combinations.

All you need is:
Small pretzels, shapes are okay (they have Christmas Tree shapes this time of year)
1 bag Hershey's Kisses or Hugs unwrapped (regular size, not the minis)
1 bag of M&M's (I get whatever colors are seasonal if making for the holidays)

  • Preheat your oven to the lowest possible setting. Mine is 200 or so. No higher or you will burn the chocolate, and that would be just wrong.
  • Lay out one layer of pretzels on a cookie sheet. You may want to line the cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper to avoid a melty mess.
  • On each pretzel place one unwrapped Hershey's Kiss/Hugs. Place it as close to center as you can.
  • Put in the oven. This only takes between 3-7 minutes, don't over cook. I have found that when the Hershey's Kiss/Hug gets shiny it is done. Watch these carefully.
  • Take out of the oven
  • On top of each Hershey's Kiss/Hugs place a M&M, pushing down to spread out the chocolate. It will form around the M&M and sink into the pretzel's cracks and holes.
  • Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes. If you have cooked them on foil or parchment paper you can pull it off the pan to cool. Putting them in the fridge will help to set them faster.
  • Once cool you can store like anything else!

These are so good, and so easy. My kids make these almost on their own, and can eat a ton of them. It is true that salty and sweet is a great combination.

Next week I will have another great recipe. Stay tuned!

No comments: