Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Play Ball

I don't know where even to start, there is just so much right now.

I had another parents meeting for the Softball Association last week...and got a 12 page packet of information that I need to read through before Boo's tryouts next month. 12 Pages! Lots of info...

The good thing is that tryouts for Boo's age are like practice. They are so young that they are more focused on the wanting to learn. Boo is 8...another girl is 7, tiny little things. So tiny that no matter what I will have to take in her uniform and sliding shorts.

I called Ma last night to tell her about the meeting and that Boo will be doing two or three tournaments, her reaction was fabulous "She is 8"...Yes Ma...

Boo is excited to play her first year of ball. I am excited to see if this is sport she will love, like or not. I played growing up and besides dance class it was my favorite thing.

Spending days on the field, throwing into a tarp in the basement, breaking all the garage windows out as I practiced a new pitch...good times (my brother broke a few of the windows with a hockey puck too, so it wasn't just me).

Softball was also the place where I met some people that I am still friends with today. My catcher for many years and I still e-mail via facebook, and a fellow pitcher and I still keep in touch too.

Softball is a demanding sport. It requires a commitment that in-house sports do not. Yes, it can seem a lot. Yes, she will have practice 2-3 times a week, games once a week and tournaments, but Softball is a very VERY team driven sport.

Not only are the girls at Boo's age learning the game, but they are learning the skills that will build that sportsmanship skills, their leadership skill and team building skill. These are all things that make a huge difference in their lives ahead.

I can' wait for the season to start.

3 comments:

Megan said...

She'll have the best time! I grew up playing softball (our league was called the "Petticoat League" if you can believe that while the boys played Little League). I stopped playing once I got to middle school but had alot of fun in elementary school playing. It's great to learn to play on a team and to meet other girls with similar interests. I have a feeling that you'll love to watch the games too.

Alison said...

It's great that you're BOTH excited about it. Sounds like a lot of fun!

MollyinMinn said...

You have a great way of thinking about it and looking at it! Have fun!