Monday, October 05, 2009

I have a cold

I am not sure what is worse, the cold I have or the way people treated me at the office today.

I have a cold, cough and congestion. No Fever.

I went to work.

I was treated like I had the plague all day long. I heard someone who sits across the "hallway" from me talking about how I should have stayed home. Why? Because I have a cough?

I have no fever.

If I had a fever, and wasn't feeling well I would have stayed home. Trust me on that.

I understand that people are in a PANIC about the H1N1 virus. I get that, don't agree with it, but get it. That does not mean that every time I, or anyone in my family, have the sniffles we are staying home. It is a cold.

Boo has had a runny nose for a few days, it comes and goes. I am not keeping her home because of it. Sorry, she needs to be in school not sitting at home driving everyone banana's because nothing is wrong besides the sniffles. If she gets a fever she will stay home.

Believe me, I dislike the parents that send their kids to school with a fever, strep and pink eye. I don't understand the parents that would want their child to spread their illness to their classmates, it takes away from classroom learning as a whole.

I have even had some friends ask me if I was in a panic about Boo and Hunter bowling. "Don't they share bowling balls and shoes", yeah...what's your point? Illness is spread no matter what you do, sharing a bowling ball is not a make it or break it thing for me. My kids have activities and lives. I have a live. My husband has a life.

Illness will not rule our lives, we have learned that if you take things as they come it will all come out okay.

I will not stress about H1N1.

If anything we will live life as normal.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

My daughter had H1N1 a couple of weeks ago. The media is making it out to be a lot worse than it really is...but the minute by boss found out I'd been exposed, he sent me home for three days.

Times have really changed. When I first started working, people were actually admired for coming to work sick...it was like a badge of honor or something. In fact, they talked about you behind your back when you DID call in sick!

My, how times have changed!

Melody said...

I agree. People need to calm down a little bit. Hope you get better soon.

Kim said...

I haven't been around in awhile, sorry. I wander back to immediately see that you are sick!

No! Could you please disinfect your blog? I'm afraid of catching your germs through my screen.

But seriously, I understand what you're saying. I do agree to some extent that life goes on if you've got a cold. If I get flack for being at work with a cold I just tell them to wash their hands and I promise not to lick their face.

But, if you are sick enough that you should be at home and you come in, I'm going to be pissed. Just last week I had a coworker who looked like death. He was at work because he figured he'd miss work once his kids got his germs and he didn't want to take too much sick time. Um thanks.