Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Works for Me Wednesday


Okay, so I wanted to try to do a "Works for me Wednesday" Post. Let's see how it goes shall we…
I learned this trick when my daughter was battling a pretty bad chest cold a couple years ago. She was coughing so bad at night, she would induce herself to vomit. Not fun at 2 am. So, as I am cleaning up for the third time of the night, I call the nurse line. We had tried everything we could think of (steam showers that normally work for her, Cough Medicine and Vapor Rub on her chest and tummy.) The nurse, who was older from the sound of her voice, told me that I was doing everything right (young mom, I worry about that), but to try putting the Vick's on Kate's feet, put some socks on her and tuck her back into bed. It would warm her up, and somehow cut the cough. And guess what…IT WORKED!!!! All it took was a thin layer of Vapor Rub and a regular pair of cotton socks. Kate didn't cough the rest of the night, and that nurse became my new best friend! We now do this whenever I or Kate have a cough that won't quit, and it has been our savior.
I can't explain how it worked, or if it works for everyone…but it Worked for Me! Head on over to Rocks in my Dryer for more Works-For-Me Wednesday posts

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was expecting you to say you rubbed it on her chest or under her nose. Wow her feet and it worked. I know a lot of people can't sleep or relax if their feet are cold. I'm glad this worked for you. I'm intrigued...

T with Honey said...

The next person that gets a cold in our house is getting Vapor rub on their feet. I have GOT to see if this works!!

penguinsandladybugs said...

For Real? I am gonna try that next time someone gets a cold...

Anonymous said...

I never, ever would have thought of that! Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to try it sometime!

Karin said...

Sure glad you didn't slather the Vicks on her chest. Too much of that stuff can cause chemical pneumonia. Always check out possible side-effects.