Tuesday, April 08, 2008

WFMW - recipes

Time for another edition of Works for Me Wednesday hosted by Rocks in My Dryer.

This week, I thought I would talk about recipes...ugg!

I am not one to cook, or I wasn't until this year. I didn't really cook, hated doing it and dreaded when Hubby was out of town. I wasn't good at it, and afraid to take risks.

That all changed this past fall. With Boo starting Kindergarten I wanted to make sure we had healthy choices for lunches. More fresh fruit, veggies and snacks. I wanted to have good dinners at night, not that we never did before, but Hubby cooked.

You may think I am exaggerating, but I had no idea how to boil an egg...AN EGG! I had to call my mom every time I wanted to make egg salad sandwiches. Not good.

So, this fall I dug in. I brought out the cookbooks that have been buried in my cupboard and started cooking.

The only problem, all these cookbooks are WAY over my head. Braise?? Rue?? What in the world am I getting into.

So what did I do?? What any blogger would do, turned to the Internet.

I love having this resource. I go to Betty Crocker, Kraft and Pillsbury daily. They have simple recipes, easy instructions and pictures. Pictures are key! I must know what the food is supposed to look at.

But, aside for those sites there are a slew of blogs out there that post recipes on their sites. Queen B, Fab Food Fridays, Leah's Recipe Exchange, Fried Okra and oh so many more. These fabulous blogs have had some of the greatest recipes! And so easy!

I still have no idea what braising is, or what a Rue is. But, I can now make chicken and dumplings on the stove, Taco Bowls and breaded chicken. It gets better every time, and I am not afraid to try new things. I am going to make Chicken Tetrazzini this weekend, wish me luck!

Head on over to Rocks in My Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday tips!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so special that one of my recipes made it to your site! :) Have a great day, hun!

Mom2fur said...

Good for you! Today Betty Crocker, tomorrow, the Food Network!
I don't have a clear definition of braising for you since I don't do that, but I can tell you what a roux is--that's how you spell it, but you do pronounce it 'rue'. It's just flour and butter mixed together to thicken a sauce! The easiest gravy ever? Take a half stick of butter and melt it in a pan. Throw in a half cup of flour and whisk it until blended, and cook for about 2 minutes on medium low heat. Dump in a can of broth and stir until thickened. That's it, you're done...unless you want to add salt and pepper. See, and you probably thought 'rue' was a fancy French culinary trick!
Chicken and dumplings...mmmmmm...

Kristen said...

Those are some GREAT recipes!

Kara said...

I just checked out Betty Crocker for a chicken pot pie recipe! And I've braised ribs before I think it is just a way to cook lond and slow in liquid?!!
Thanks for all the good links:)

Cindy said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog post...it's great to meet another camping family. And it's great that you're excited about cooking...it only gets easier.

Jody said...

Thanks for the love for FFF. It's my "slowest" site and I don't push it enough. I hope you let me know when something works for you!